Dear creamy tortellini soup, with sausage, and spinach, and that rich and creamy tomato broth: ILYSB!
If there is just *one* soup you make this month, absolutely make it this one.
Im not going to beat around the bush with you. Is it the healthiest: no.
Is it the most delicious, the most memorable, the most cozy, and the most compelling for bringing friends together around a table? Yes.
Theres something a little magical about savory sausage coming together with a saut trio of onion, carrot, and celery, a generous bit of garlic, fresh spinach, and cheese tortellini, all of it enveloped in a rich and creamy base that is just tangy and tomatoey enough to cut the richness. Magical, I guess, or you could also just say alarmingly easy to eat bowl after bowl after bowl.
Its one of those meals that you make and then you cant stop thinking about the next day which is what happened to us, when our friend Angela was casually like, Come over for soup, and we left 100% changed human beings, and then I asked her if I could please put this recipe on POY immediately because I COULDNT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.
She also made us a loaf of no-knead cheese bread for dunking, sopping, and generally soup-scooping, which is definitely what Id recommend with this particular tortellini soup situation.
Lets Make Some Creamy Tortellini Soup:
Step 1: Brown your sausage. Add your veggies. IT SMELLS SO GOOD.
Step 2: Hello garlic, spices, and tomato paste. Were in soup-base territory now.
Step 3: Layer in that wine, flour, and broth.
Step 4: Add tortellini and spinach and let it simmer until its all cooked up. Get your crusty bread ready. Annnnd go!
You are ready. Tonight its just you, your coziest sweater (okay be real, sweatpants) and a deep bowl of creamy tortellini soup. A BIG WINNING MOMENT.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, crushed or chopped
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- cup all-purpose flour
- 67 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini*
- 2 large handfuls chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage, breaking up into little pieces.When sausage is mostly browned, add onion, celery and carrot, saut for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, spices, and tomato paste; saut for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Add wine and let it cook out for a few minutes. Stir the flour into the sausage and cook for 1 minute. Itll be sticky and dry. Gradually add in the chicken broth, stir to combine and make a creamy mixture. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream, then bring back to a low simmer. Add the tortellini and spinach. Cook just until tortellini is al dente, per package directions. Serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan and dunk with cheese bread. Oh my goodness. This is living.