This Instant Pot Risotto couldn’t be easier! No stirring, no heating broth – just tender and creamy, incredibly flavorful risotto in 20 minutes!
Instant Pot Risotto can be dolled up with some crispy bacon and peas for an elegant date night meal, or serve it alongside Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms or Mushroom Pork Chops for a cozy and comforting Sunday dinner.
Why should I Make Risotto in the Instant Pot?
Now that I’ve mastered this Instant Pot risotto, I honestly don’t know if I could go back.
It is so creamy and flavorful, and just so much easier than all that stirring and babysitting on the stove!
Instant Pot risotto still has that luxurious texture and big flavor of traditional risotto without all the headache. So I say why not?
The pressure cooker makes risotto a simple addition to a weeknight meal!
How to make Instant Pot Risotto:
- Add oil or butter to the Instant Pot on saute & cook onions.
- Add garlic, spices, & rice – saute just until the edges of the rice are translucent.
- Add chicken broth – no need to heat it! – and give the bottom a good scrape.
- Put the lid on & pressure cook.
- Let the pressure release naturally 10 minutes, open, & stir in Parmesan cheese.
Get Creative with this Risotto:
- Make it dairy-free: use oil to saute your onions instead of butter, and skip the Parmesan. You will still have an incredibly creamy risotto with no dairy at all!
- Stir in some frozen peas (set them on the counter to thaw slightly as the risotto is cooking) and crispy bacon after cooking.
- Add some roasted cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for a summery spin.
- Swap out your herbs and cheeses for a risotto all your own.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Goulash – a hearty meal the family loves.
- Instant Pot Lasagna – so easy and so comforting!
- Instant Pot Meatloaf – a great addition to your risotto.
- Instant Pot Ribs – perfect for a backyard BBQ!
- Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts – another great way to top your risotto!
Did you love this Instant Pot Risotto? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Instant Pot Risotto
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Optional: crispy bacon and peas for topping
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the butter and onions.
- Cook and stir until onions are translucent.
- Add the rice, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until the edges of the rice are just translucent.
- Add the chicken broth to pot and scrape the bottom well to remove any bits that may be stuck on.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, and with the vent in the venting position, put the lid on. Turn the valve to sealing, select Manual or Pressure Cook for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 5 minutes to build pressure and begin counting down.
- When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. Open the vent, then remove the lid.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and any toppings as desired.